Massachusetts Bar Association
Real Estate Bar Association for Massachusetts
Dukes County Bar Association
Connecticut Attorneys Title Insurance Company (CATIC – approved attorney)
George Brush, Attorney
George opened his law firm in 1998 after 30 years of launching and managing successful commercial businesses on the Vineyard. Perhaps the most renowned venture was the 1979 opening of the Hot Tin Roof with Carly Simon, ushering in an era of new and unique live music and entertainment.
Active in real estate development for 15 years, George became an expert in the complexities and history of home ownership on the Vineyard. Before being admitted to the bar, he mediated civil land disputes before the courts and secured winning decisions before the Land Court and the MA Appeals Court. In short, George’s broad background enables him to balance legal issues with a client’s individual economic, family and personal considerations.
In every situation and whatever the need in confronting the challenges of the legal system, starting a business, helping family members through a death or dispute, or managing an uncertain future, George offers compassionate counsel in plain language.
Year-round and seasonal residents have turned to George for estate planning and administration, civil litigation and complex property issues. Those services include:
- Civil matters involving broken promises, land use dispute, torts, probate, and conflicts with neighbors.
- Securing negotiated settlements, yet when necessary representing clients in the Massachusetts Superior, District, Probate, and Land Courts, often serving as local counsel for off-island law firms.
- Working with families to resolve complicated property issues.
- Leading clients through partition, registration, marketing and gifting of land.
- Assisting families with estate planning including securing the highest marital deduction while minimizing tax burden after death, as well as drafting health proxies, living wills and durable power of attorney.
- Establishing personal resident trusts, nominee trusts for real property, revocable living trusts and special needs trusts.
- Assisting business owners in forming partnerships and corporations.
George and his wife Carol Dodd have raised three native islanders, are avid skiers and compete regularly on the Holmes Hole Sailing Association race courses. Carol is a board member at Featherstone, was a key organizer of the capital campaign for the new West Tisbury Public Library, and served for years as a member of the West Tisbury School Committee. George and Carol live in West Tisbury.